Re: One True i18n Table

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:06:41 -0400

"Kenneth Downs" <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net> wrote in message news:9nolkc.757.ln_at_mercury.downsfam.net...
> Like many of us, at one time I "invented" the one true lookup table,
> eventually saw the error of my ways, and stopped doing stuff like that.

I little while ago, I described how a created a view with 185 selects and 184 UNIONs in it so that I could have the appearance of OTLT without the materialization of it.

"Skunk works"

Did you see that discussion?

> With one exception. I find I still use a single lookup table to hold all
> messages for internationalization. This table includes descriptions of
> objects, error messages, notifications, and so forth. Another table holds
> languages, and a third cross-references them.
>
> Oddly enough, the reasoning is the exact same as for the OTLT, it is in
fact
> easier to pull those descriptions out of a single place than to have a
> sub-table for every table in the system.

My question is this: do you experience the same downside that you did with OTLT, or don't you?