4 the Faq: Strengths and Weaknesses of Data Models

From: Kenneth Downs <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:28:39 -0400

It seems to be taken for granted by the majority in this ng that the RDM is superior to the hierarchical and network data models. I am in that majority, but I realize it is probably for me more a matter of faith than proof.

So the question is: why did RDM win the database wars? Was it really on strengths, or was it, shudder to think, just one of those trends that IT goes through?

What is normally stated in the group is that RDM has a mathematical basis that gives us a strategy for correctness, which Hierarchical and Network did not. Yet somebody in this ng mentioned a few days ago that those models were given a more rigorous footing later on. Could the hierarchical model now be just as thorough, except that RDM already won?

--
Kenneth Downs
Use first initial plus last name at last name plus literal "fam.net" to