Re: 4 the FAQ: Are Commercial DBMS Truly Relational?

From: --CELKO-- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 10 Oct 2004 16:43:04 -0700

>>> I have nothing against Celko, but I'm not particularly interested
in depending on having overly clever DBAs around to construct overly baroque SQL queries to compute things. It's good to have the ability to do such queries, but using them for "production" work smacks indeed of "doing magick." <<

Hey! I'm the guy who advocates getting the DDL highly normalized, loaded with constraints and hidden by VIEWs so that that the overly clever DBA does not have to write code at all! The developer sees such a simple schema that he can write his own damn code and not bother me all the time :)

In fact, if I can get a lot of the constraints in the schema, I can save the developer the extra time he spends putting them in the front end. Received on Mon Oct 11 2004 - 01:43:04 CEST

Original text of this message