Re: 4 the FAQ: Are Commercial DBMS Truly Relational?

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 23:08:27 -0400

"Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne_at_acm.org> wrote in message news:2srhtgF1ldm0vU1_at_uni-berlin.de...
> I have nothing against Celko, but I'm not particularly interested in
> depending on having overly clever DBAs around to construct overly
> baroque SQL queries to compute things. It's good to have the ability
> to do such queries, but using them for "production" work smacks indeed
> of "doing magick." There's plenty enough magick around already.
> There's plenty of unmaintainable Perl. More than enough
> unmaintainable C++. More than enough unmaintainable Java. And
> ABAP/4. And so forth.

That's another reason why I used to like Datatrieve so much.

You could pull data out, do relational joins, restricts and projections on it, and other manipulations, then turn around and push the result through a regular old report writer with hierarchical control breaks in it. It was so easy that, if you didn't watch carefully, you'd think it was automatic. Received on Sun Oct 10 2004 - 05:08:27 CEST

Original text of this message