The Language list.

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 16:21:40 -0400

I was surfing around looking for something (System 1022, actually), when I ran across The Language List

http://people.ku.edu/~nkinners/LangList/Extras/langlist.htm

It's a list of about 2500 programming languages. It's got all the biggies in it, and lots of others.

I recognize at least one language that I had a hand in developing, although I am not credited by name.

Notable among the ones I looked at:

Data/Basic, the language of the Pick operating system, and one of Dawn's favorite reference points. Notably, It's listed as a "language for non-professionals" (It's surprising how many of the best languages began exactly that way).

Datatrieve, my favorite point of reference. It's also a language that was written for non-professionals. It's also the language in which I learned how to do a relational join. For a language created for "non-professionals" It's surprising how much I got out of it, although I was some 15 years into the profession by that time.

Simula 67. Listed as the earliest Object Oriented Programming language. Way back in 1967... get a load of that. Notably, it mentions that it had a "garbage collector". When I was arguing that Java devotees were a little too jazzed with Java's GC, I used lisp as a point of reference. It turns out I need not have gone to such a distant language. I could have referred to Simula 67, an OO language instead.

The people who think that everything prior to 1991 was "stone age" should take notice of this. Received on Sat Oct 09 2004 - 22:21:40 CEST

Original text of this message