Re: Attention Experienced Professionals

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 12:23:53 -0700

Alan wrote:

> This is one of the times of the year when we start getting a lot of
> questions from students. There have been several of tehse lately. Sometimes
> they state that they are students, and sometimes they try to disuise an
> assignment as a business problem hoping that someone will give them the
> answer. I encourage everyone to try to determine if a post is from a student
> posing as a professional. They are usually easy to spot if you are inclined
> to look for them. I don't want to go into detail as to what to look for, but
> if you keep your eyes open, they can be spotted. Of course, the downside is
> that we may "accuse" a legit poster of being a student trying to cheat, but
> they usually understand and give more details about their problem, which is
> a good thing anyway.
>
> We should probably come up with some position on this, but generally,
> students are encouraged to try to solve the problem on their own first, post
> what they have, and then we will provide guidance, hints, and clues- but not
> direct answers.

Thank you.

On the positive side with respect to treating someone as a student that isn't. There is the fact that if they are asking student-level questions they likely should be students and not be taking a job away from someone actually qualified to do the job they are being paid to do.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington