Re: 4 the FAQ: Are Commercial DBMS Truly Relational?

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 15:49:10 GMT

"Kenneth Downs" <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net> wrote in message news:irs8kc.9nv.ln_at_mercury.downsfam.net...

> Now before
> Mr. Pascal "debunks" me by pointing out that a rational basis is required
> to achieve practical purposes, I would ask, if human beings have been using
> these non-relational systems with an acceptable level of error, and modern
> civilization has not fallen, is there need for a feedback cycle in which
> practice affects the selection of mathematical models to use in future
> engineering?

I think Mr. Pascal would probably take issue with the phrase "acceptable error." He's something of an absolutist.

While I'm somewhat disenchanted with Pascal &co. lately, there is something to be said about a "no compromises" attitude. But this most relevant to language designers. One point they make that I really buy is that a more regular language would be easier to use and easier to optimize.

Marshall Received on Sat Oct 09 2004 - 17:49:10 CEST

Original text of this message