Re: OO and relation "impedance mismatch"

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 08:37:53 -0300

Em Sun, 03 Oct 2004 18:09:07 -0700, Alfredo Novoa escreveu:

> SQL has many variants, and each one is extensible in different ways (or
> not extensible at all). I am not completely happy with any of them, but
> some of them (like RealSQL and FirstSQL) are a lot better than others.

        Agreed, another one which not as nice as Alphora's RealSQL or as FirstSQL, is PostgreSQL. Interestingly they cross the OO-relational divide both the good (user-defined data types) and the bad (table inheritance) ways.

        And then you can see the problem is indeed SQL itself. Both RealSQL and FirstSQL became interesting by violating the SQL standard in quite fundamental ways, while PostgreSQL limits itself to try to achieve ISO SQL compliance, and thus perpetuates errors.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>
Maringá, PR, BRASIL                            +55 (44) 3025 6253