Re: Dawn doesn't like 1NF

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 08:02:46 -0400

"mAsterdam" <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org> wrote in message news:41666b23$0$25965$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl...

> No need, but definiteley a worthwhile read.
> I couldn't find my old edition of his 'introduction'.
>
> Some things I like very much about this book:
> - It does not shy away from problems, avoided by other books.
> - Chris Date admits (and describes) changes in his thinking over
> the years.
> - Opinions are clear, and clearly stated as such.
> - Opposing opinions are clearly stated, put in good perspective,
> and challenged.

This is a very good recommendation. I'll add it to my reading list, but I won't bump anything else off the list.

I expect I would like the same things you like. In the context of this discussion, I especially like the second point you make, about changes in his thinking over the years. The evolution of ideas is of interest to me. That's why I keep referring back to the 1970 paper so much. Alfredo's idea that the paper is "obsolete" because other people (like Date) have come up with revisions is typical of the "forget everything you ever learned" mentality that keeps IT from maturing.

I guess I've formed an opinion of Date based on his devotees. They seem like dogmatists rather than thinkers to me. Maybe I'll get a better perspective from Date himself. Received on Fri Oct 08 2004 - 14:02:46 CEST

Original text of this message