Re: Dawn doesn't like 1NF

From: Dan <guntermann_at_verizon.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 04:24:29 GMT

"Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote in message news:4163d4ef.5438328_at_news.wanadoo.es...
> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:37:56 GMT, "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com>
> wrote:
>

> You can have relations as tuple attribute values in 1NF.

I don't agree, and until I see a higher order logic that is as complete and consistent as first order predicate logic, I'll probably retain that opinion.

In regards to Dawn's comments that there is no basis for 1NF in mathematics, I disagree with that even more vehemently. There exists a basis in both logic, philosophy, and mathematics. Show me the alternative to relations, domains, tuples, and cartesian products across values using nested values in relations, and I might defer. I'd actually enjoy being convinced...perhaps with even a proof.

  • Dan