Re: OO and relation "impedance mismatch"

From: robert <gnuoytr_at_rcn.com>
Date: 5 Oct 2004 11:52:35 -0700

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:<vICdnb4QEL8mLf_cRVn-pg_at_comcast.com>...

<snip>
> OK now we've denormalized the biz rules. We've got the same rule in more
> than one place. If the rule changes, we have to update it in both places.
<snip>

i don't believe this has to be true. although the effort to make it not true may require some skill acquisition.

every database remembers the constraints of all types in its catalog. having a jsp (or asp, or whatever) be generated each time with its client side javascript (or whatever) from this catalog information is quite doable.

the downside is that each database uses different tables for this information, so that means different stuff for each supported DB. most VARs only support one or two.

now, whether this should be done on each page generation is up for debate. the most efficient method would be to re-generate the page skeletons on each DB modification, and use them statically in production. so you only really need to update the DB, then run your page generator. Received on Tue Oct 05 2004 - 20:52:35 CEST

Original text of this message