Dawn doesn't like 1NF

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:37:56 GMT

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE> wrote in message news:cjsldr$vui$1_at_news.netins.net...

> Just my $.02. Oh, and by the way, did I mention that XML has one thing
> going for it -- it is not trapped into that silly 1NF rule that has no basis
> in the mathematics of relations. Cheers! --dawn

Dawn,

Time to refresh my memory. Remind me again what it is you don't like about 1NF. Is it simply that one can't have relations as attributes? (Or lists or whatever, although some SQL engines allow lists as attributes.)

If you could have a column that had a relation type, or a list type, and these could have relation types or list types in turn, recursively, is that what you want?

That actually sounds good to me, but I'm a little concerned about the added complexity.

Marshall Received on Tue Oct 05 2004 - 18:37:56 CEST

Original text of this message