Re: XML: The good, the bad, and the ugly

From: Lemming <thiswillbounce_at_bumblbee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:59:33 +0100

On 4 Oct 2004 13:39:19 -0700, gnuoytr_at_rcn.com (robert) wrote:

>as historical perspective, xml as B2B (and to a lesser extent B2C)
>implementation of data transport,

Please forgive my ignorance: what is B2B (or even B2C?)?

>arose from the assertion (not true from
>actual experience, i suspect) that using the xml plumbing (parser, https,
>vpn, etc) would be cheaper and easier than existing EDI implmentations
>which, IIRC, are binary data streams over VAN/WAN. it wasn't that xml
>was even a better bullet, let alone a magic one.

ISTM it's not even a bullet. It's a software recruitment agency's wet dream. It has nothing to do with writing robust systems, and everything to do with having a shiny new buzzword with which to dazzle prospective clients. Not exactly worthless, but nothing we haven't seen before. In short: a lot of fuss about nothing.

Hmm ... perhaps XML is about to become my equivalent of Dawn's 1NF.

Lemming

--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.