Re: Some Laws [OT]

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: 4 Oct 2004 06:00:28 -0700

"Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message news:<JF%7d.301930$mD.108907_at_attbi_s02>...

> And why do we qualify this with "this generation."

And which is "this generation"? Some participants of this group double the age of others.

> What evidence
> do we have that people of our parents' generation just loved theory?
> It is very easy to believe that things are heading downhill and that
> each generation is inferior to the previous; Plato thought so.
> But in fact, the reverese is true.

This is not so simple. It is clear that the average education of my generation is a lot better than the average education of my parents' generation, but the things are not so clear if we consider only the elites of my parent's generation and the elites of my generation.

The most part of the progress is made by the elites, and not by the average people.

I can speak about my country and my enviroment only, and there are many factors.

For instance some decades ago the universities were a lot more elitist than now.

The level of sacrifice that my generation is willing to tolerate is a lot lower than the one of my parents' and grand parents' generations, but higher than the one of the next generations.

The sense of the "duty" is very different in my generation and in my grand parents's generation. We are extremely hedonist compared to them.

The social and economical motivations for having a very good education are less important than in the past. Any no-brainer salesmen often earns more than a good scientist, and has a better social consideration.

My generation had a lot more alternatives to the reading and the studying than my grand parent's generation, but also a lot more opportunities to access to good quality learning sources.

etc, etc.

Regards Received on Mon Oct 04 2004 - 15:00:28 CEST

Original text of this message