Re: OO and relation "impedance mismatch"

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 07:18:49 -0400

"Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message news:S038d.105468$wV.104672_at_attbi_s54...

> Okay, now I've googled it and see it first appears in Postgres in v. 7.4.

Well, DEC Rdb, my introduction to relational databases, had the feature (called DEFINE FIELD) way back in 1983, when version 1 of Rdb was still in early development. When they added SQL in 1986, they called it CREATE DOMAIN (naturally) but it was flagged as an SQL extension in the documentation.

I'm pretty sure it was added to the SQL standard in 1992, but I'll defer to the local SQL experts on that.

When I cut over to Oracle in 1994, I was shocked at the absence of CREATE DOMAIN. Received on Mon Oct 04 2004 - 13:18:49 CEST

Original text of this message