Re: OO and relation "impedance mismatch"

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 00:33:33 +0200

Marshall Spight wrote:

> mAsterdam wrote:
>

>>Fredrik Bertilsson wrote:
>>
>>>... OO purists are claiming that the object model
>>>should be design before the (or without respect to)
>>>the database schema.
>>
>>This is a development process issue. It may matter
>>wether (parts of) the object-models are designed
>>before, after or simultaneously with the database.
>>ISTM all three plans seem viable, as long as the
>>different designs get appropriate attention, and
>>appropriate cross-checking.
>
> I dunno. I've done lots of modelling both ways, and I
> can't imagine doing anything besides schema-design-first
> ever again.

It's not always you who decides on the process. I am inclined to discuss tables - I like Downs' law. However, I've had some positive experience where use-cases (from earlier sessions) where thoroughly discussed ('objectified') in CRC-sessions before anybody mentioned 'table'. Schema design was downhill. Received on Mon Oct 04 2004 - 00:33:33 CEST

Original text of this message