Re: Some Laws

From: Lemming <thiswillbounce_at_bumblbee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 02:42:47 +0100

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 06:58:33 -0400, "Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote:

>"Lemming" <thiswillbounce_at_bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

[good stuff snipped ... I'll reply later, but ...]

>I skipped COBOL. But let me ask a dumb question... Why doesn't the
>compiler or the run time alert the COBOL programmer to that error?

Yes, COBOL will throw an error; however the error will be a code in the variable you have assigned to be the FILE-STATUS in the SELECT clause for the file. It will contain a pair (normally) of values indicating the error. And if you have assigned a variable to FILE-STATUS then COBOL will flag the exception in the file status variable and continue processing, so if you forget to check the file status each time you access the file ...

>What is the sound of one object clapping?

XML? Oh, you said cLapping. With an L. As you were.

Lemming

--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.