Re: Some Laws

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 02:41:02 GMT

"Lemming" <thiswillbounce_at_bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:g28pl0lq0aboe98ef3qetpvuc0u5dhubv3_at_4ax.com...

> I would like to learn C++, yes I really would, but I don't think I can
> do the whole "OO koan" thing, and that's what puts me off. I want to
> write programs that do useful things (and I can do that in BASIC,
> Pascal and COBOL) I don't want to join some dopey religious cult.

I am largely sympathetic, and yet, to quote Alan Perlis,

"A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming is not worth knowing."

OO programming isn't like plain procedural. It just isn't. It took me long hard years of work, frankly, to really "get it."

And it was totally worth it.

Marshall Received on Fri Oct 01 2004 - 04:41:02 CEST

Original text of this message