Re: First Impressions on Using Alphora's Dataphor

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:38:00 -0400

"Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne_at_acm.org> wrote in message news:2pkepaFls80gU1_at_uni-berlin.de...

> Actually, this could be considered support the notion that there has
> been practically NO genuine innovation since the early 1970s.
>
> Which would support the further thought that it would be a sensible
> idea to ignore _all_ of the technologies created more recently than
> (say) 1975, and for would-be innovators to look at the things created
> between 1965 and 1975 for inspiration to see if things that failed
> then due to computers not being powerful enough could be reclaimed
> now.
>
> I'm not _entirely_ serious, although I definitely don't think there
> has been anything usefully new in either OSes or DBMSes since at best
> the '80s.

I think that's a little too "retro", even for me.

When I finally bought a computer of my own, in 1983... Spreadsheets were an innovation for me, although VISICALC was already many years old.
And TURBO PASCAL was a great leap forward in simplicity, power, and, yes price.
I liked TP so much that I started writing Pascal programs at home, and then uploading them to the "real computers" at work.

But I digress. In keeping of my theme of "evolution, not revolution", I'm going to say that progress has been steady. The only thing I lament is all the stuff that gets invented, debugged, matured, and then forgotten. Then, some time later someone from a later generation, "invents it" all over again.

more later..