Re: Database question ?

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:43:11 +0200

Gene Wirchenko wrote:

> sergei_m_1_at_yahoo.com (m sergei) wrote:
>

>>I have a question about how is Database software constructed ?
>>
>>Say Oracle/Sybase etc database software, how are they programmed ? ie
>>how is data actually stored in tables, or actually in files ?

> It depends on the implementation. Ideally, it should not make a
> difference to the database app programmer.

Hm.... well.... errrhm... yes.
That is part of the database folklore, anyway. In any shop I have seen something like the following could happen:

P1: How does datafrobber (the DBMS in use) handle this?
P2: You don't have to know.
P1: Yeah but ... (some non-trivial problem).
P2: It should be like ... oh go ask P3, he knows
intimate details, he practically invented datafrobber - but don't take too much of is time.

Sounds familiar? Received on Fri Aug 13 2004 - 10:43:11 CDT