Re: Database question ?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: 13 Aug 2004 12:52:51 GMT

After takin a swig o' Arrakan spice grog, sergei_m_1_at_yahoo.com (m sergei) belched out:
> I meant how the data is implemented in files and the programming
> structures.

The people that really know about this are internal to the development groups for the respective systems.

For Oracle, DB2, and Sybase, they are pretty inaccessible to the public.

There are several DBMS implementations available in "open source" form that might be useful to look at as the source code therefore _is_ available.

PostgreSQL, Firebird, Berkeley DB (it's not SQL, but it's interesting nonetheless), MySQL, SAP-DB, and Ingres are all available in "open source" form under one license or another. Amongst them you'll find a reasonably diverse set of "storage management" abstractions; none work in exactly the same way.

It would also be well worth your while to look to the literature and source code surrounding journalled filesystems. On Linux, you could avail yourself of source code for IBM's JFS, SGI's XFS, amongst other implementations.

What is quite interesting if you watch the literature is that the implementation strategies for journalled filesystems are remarkably similar to those for database storage management. They are similar problems, and both have been able to learn from each other...

--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/fs.html