Re: Database question ?

From: Hugo Kornelis <hugo_at_pe_NO_rFact.in_SPAM_fo>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:11:22 +0200

On 12 Aug 2004 18:35:36 -0700, m sergei wrote:

>I have a question about how is Database software constructed ?
>
>Say Oracle/Sybase etc database software, how are they programmed ? ie
>how is data actually stored in tables, or actually in files ?

Hi M,

One of the particularly nice features about databases is that you DON'T have to know how the data is actually stored. I can simply write

	SELECT FirstName, LastName
	FROM   Staff
	WHERE  Department = 'Sales'

and all else is handled by the DBMS. Great, isn't it?

If you do insist on knowing what goes on behind the covers, here's a good book to start with:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735609985/qid=1092384429/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-4806692-5625739?v=glance&s=books

This is specifically for MS SQL Server 2000. Other database vendors will pprobably have chosen completely different ways to construct their software - in fact, there are some major differences between versions 6.5 and 7.0 of MS SQL Server. I don't know if similar books are available for other database systems, but you can always try to find them through Amazon.

Best, Hugo

--

(Remove _NO_ and _SPAM_ to get my e-mail address)