Re: list algebra

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:40:56 GMT

"mAsterdam" <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org> wrote in message news:40e1cb0b$0$36861$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl...
> Marshall Spight wrote:
> >>You plan to use any lists or some particular kind of lists ?
> >
> > Any list.
>
> Heterogeneous lists look like they can create a lot of
> (for the order problem unnecessary) complications
> when looking at them in a relational framework.
> Homogeneous lists (all elements of one type only) would
> suffice for the 'order' problem sec - or am I just seeing ghosts?

Ah, I see your point.

To my mind, this is simply a typing question. If I have a simple variable of type <any>, then I can put any value of any type in there, but I can't do any operations on it because <any> has no operations.

In this way of thinking, every list is homogeneous; it is simply homogeneous as some upper bound of the union of the types of all the elements.

Marshall Received on Wed Jun 30 2004 - 03:40:56 CEST

Original text of this message