Re: Semi-structured data

From: Costin Cozianu <c_cozianu_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 06:47:22 -0700

Alfredo Novoa wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:06:00 -0700, Costin Cozianu
> <c_cozianu_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Well, you can use some reading, can't you ?

> Readings about this are contradictorial.

I'm sure that enlightened minds like you can discern the good stuff from the chaff.

>>Semi-structured means whose structure is only partially exposed to the
>>processing application (where application can be database systems,
>>client app, middleware, etc), i.e. it has hidden structure as far as the
>>application is concerned.

> Great :)
>
> Thus every database that holds character strings, images, ZIP codes,
> ISBN numbers, barcodes, etc, etc is semi-structured.

Well, yes, if that's as far as your imagination can take you.

>>It says something very precise about the legitimacy of wannabe trolls on
>>c.d.t who want to wave their magic hands and pretend there's some kind
>>of truth or useful knowledge in their baseless claims.

> The IT world and the CS world are not as serious as it is supposed.
>
> There is plenty of junk in CS research publications, master thesis and
> final year works.

Without a doubt. But it's all relative isn't it ? Relative to what ?

I was thinking maybe we can relate that to comp.database.theory where Alfredo, Leandro et. comp. (Bob is quiet lately), delight and enlighten us with high quality material only.

What was the last article worthy of consideration posted on comp.database.theory ?

> Regards
> Alfredo

Cheers,
Costin Received on Mon Jun 28 2004 - 15:47:22 CEST

Original text of this message