Re: Semi-structured data

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:06:12 GMT

On 25 Jun 2004 14:39:10 -0700, jcelko212_at_earthlink.net (--CELKO--) wrote:

>Quick example for the lurkers of one of 480,000+ Google hits on
>(('semi-structured' OR 'unstructured') AND 'data')
>
>http://javelina.cet.middlebury.edu/lsa/out/cover_page.htm
>
>>> A semistructured data is half organized data. :-)<<
>
>Oh! Most of the SQL databases I get to fix!

Here semistructured means bad designed :)

>>> For instance a bitmap or a string of characters are perfectly
>structured. <<
>
>But the semantics of the the picture they hold is not!

Of course, like the semantics of a character string, or the semantics of a tuple of integers.

The data does not have meaning for the computer.

Semistructured seems to be a completely fuzzy term.

A better definition could be: a semistructured database is a database that does not implement all the integrity constraints.

But then almost all databases are semistructured.

Regards
  Alfredo Received on Mon Jun 28 2004 - 12:06:12 CEST

Original text of this message