Re: c.d.theory glossary -- definition of "class"

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:55:22 +0200

Alfredo Novoa wrote:

> Dawn M. Wolthuis wrote:
>

>>I really don't like the "A class is what ..." definition, especially since
>>folks like Date keep asking why the OO folks are so confused on what a class
>>is -- is it a variable, for example?

> Most times it is a type.

This is the us vs them explanation.
'us' (relational) database redefining the world, them OO developers who don't even get their central concepts clear.

This does not help understanding across
paradigmatic boundaries at all.
On the contrary, it demarcates.

Behavior is a central aspect to OO. Any respectful description of the term class should include behavior.

>> I would like to make it clear that it
>>is metadata.

> It is wrong because a class is many things: source code, type,
> metadata, entity, implementation of a type, etc, etc.

So let's abolish all terms that have more meanings? There won't be many words left.

> That class is used with many other meanings. It would be better to
> avoid this horribly overloaded term.

The term is used. It is used by a lot of people who use databases. It is used in relation to the use of databases. It is important to have an understanding of what is meant when 'class' is used in the context of databases. Somebody who strikes it from the vocabulary simply won't hear what is said when the term is used. Received on Wed Jun 23 2004 - 20:55:22 CEST

Original text of this message