Re: Stupid Database Tricks

From: --CELKO-- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 19 Jun 2004 16:11:47 -0700

>> 0. we like to keep things familiar for the 60 year old COBOL
programmers who wrote version 1. we keep each table in its own file. <<

I remember COBOL people doing this when DB2 came out! Actually, it is more like each former file is put into one SQL table. There are no relationships among the tables. I even saw the fields mapped into CHAR(n) or VARCHAR(n) instead of a temporal datatype or INTEGER, etc.

Each READ became a FETCH so that the original COBOL logic did not have to change. Joins? We don't got no stinkin' Jions! Received on Sun Jun 20 2004 - 01:11:47 CEST

Original text of this message