Re: One Ring to Bind Them

From: Tony <andrewst_at_onetel.net.uk>
Date: 19 Jun 2004 05:00:04 -0700

"Anthony W. Youngman" <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<jJnvJwDHSy0AFw$a_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk>...
> The ordering in a list is metadata. Convert that into a set to put into
> an rdbms and ORDER is now just a meaningless (as far as the db engine is
> concerned) bit of data.
>
> That's where MV and OO fundamentally differ. They try to *avoid*
> converting metadata to data, so that the db engine can be intelligent
> and take advantage of it to optimise things.

Very funny! How can MV optimise ANYTHING given that you have already determined the access paths for all the data? Suppose we want to get the data out ordered by product code instead of by line number within order, which is how we chose to store it. How can MV optimise for that? An RDBMS may choose a different access path to get the data depending on the ORDER BY clause. Received on Sat Jun 19 2004 - 14:00:04 CEST

Original text of this message