Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:21:51 -0400

"Anthony W. Youngman" <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:SI7zJjE3Xy0AFwZq_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk...

> Oddly enough, I've just been trying to get to grips with our new SQL
> database. And I asked "how do I know which tables belong together?" I
> was told that, given an individual table, I couldn't find out which
> other tables "join"ed to it. I "just had to know".

Bad database, don't you think? If the appropriate REFERENCES clauses had been included, you would be able to figure out the join conditions, wouldn't you?

Of course, there are times when the ability to join data in an unanticipated way is actually useful.

As I wrote in "Stupid database tricks", it's possible to create a totally inscrutable database, comprehensible only to programmers, in SQL. It's also possible to write spaghetti code in C.

Nothing is foolproof, because fools are so ingenious. Or so it says on somebody's tag line. Received on Fri Jun 18 2004 - 21:21:51 CEST

Original text of this message