Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Chris Hoess <choess_at_stwing.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 03:10:04 +0000 (UTC)

In article <7uOdnRIeDqYIo03dRVn-hQ_at_comcast.com>, Laconic2 wrote:

> Heresy is nearly always a necessary part of advancement or reform. Martin
> Luther, Galileo, Frank Lloyd Wright, and e.e. cummings were all denounced as
> heretics by people who liked things the way they were before. But most
> heresies are failures, just like most mutations are failures.
>
> And the present age is so in love with heresy that we teach kindergarten
> kids to color outside the lines before we teach them how to color within the
> lines. Nobody thinks inside the box anymore. And some don't think either
> inside or outside the box.
>
> It's a puzzlement.

Hmm. My way of putting it has been that "Antiestablishmentarianism has become established." Explanations? The best I've seen so far from C.S. Lewis's "Screwtape Letters", as Screwtape explains his business: "Some ages are lukewarm and complacent, and then it is our business to soothe them yet faster asleep. Other ages, of which the present is one, are unbalanced and prone to faction, and it is our business to inflame them." But I digress from databases.

--
Chris Hoess