Re: Modelling large trees and hierarchies

From: Paul Arnold <paula_at_pivetal.com>
Date: 17 Jun 2004 00:26:08 -0700

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message news:<caqm68$jel$1_at_news.netins.net>...
> "Paul Arnold" <paula_at_pivetal.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
> > Any suggestions/foresight/tips that may help us in the database
> > modelling would be most appreciated?
>
> Are you tied to a SQL-DBMS or open to other options?
> --dawn

Hi Dawn,

We are pretty much tied to MS SQL Server/Oracle DBs at the moment....

Our previous attempt involved generating highly optimized and compressed XML on the server which was then passed across to the clients. This was fine for trees upto 1 million records, but it just won't scale past that due to the Microsoft XMLDocument's very inefficient memory footprint.

We can also not guarantee the spec of the client machines, so want to avoid anything that is highly memory dependant.

Why do you have any neat options that we could consider?

Regards,

Paul Received on Thu Jun 17 2004 - 09:26:08 CEST

Original text of this message