Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Anthony W. Youngman <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:28:01 +0100

In message <40c81648_at_post.usenet.com>, x <x-false_at_yahoo.com> writes
>**** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
>

>"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message
>> "Anthony W. Youngman" <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> > LOOK at the subject of this thread again. It is an AXIOM of relational
>> > theory that data comes in tuples. Show me that that's true! And because
>> > it's an axiom, mathematics itself tells you that logic CAN not give you
>> > an answer!
>>
>> Excellent, excellent, point. I would love to hear if there is any
>> disagreement on this point. If not, then perhaps we can work this into
>the
>> glossary somehow related to "relational theory" or "axioms".
>> Cheers! --dawn
>
>Why do you keep saying "relational *THEORY*" ?

Because it IS a THEORY (see below).

>The title of Codd's 1970 ACM paper is "A Relational *MODEL* of Data for
>Large Shared Data Banks".
>
>The title of Codd's 1979 ACM paper is "Extending the Database Relational
>*MODEL* to Capture More Meaning".
>
>What meaning of *theory* do you have in mind ?

Not the mathematical meaning of "a proposition awaiting proof to become a theorem", but the scientific meaning of "a bunch of axioms and consequent theorems". Which happens to be the same meaning as "model".

I think, unfortunately, the use of the word "theory" is now common usage...

Cheers,
Wol

as Lies-to-People.