Re: Entity vs. Table

From: Alan <alan_at_erols.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:19:20 -0400

"Gene Wirchenko" <genew_at_mail.ocis.net> wrote in message news:01lrc01c8ig9k1ge3ql99msrhre89jaasj_at_4ax.com...
> "Alan" <alan_at_erols.com> wrote:
>

> >"Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote in message
>
> [snip]
>
> >> So, an implementation of a 3NF logical design migth have redundancy.
> >
> >Those are your words, not mine. There should be no redundancy in a
properly
> >implemeted 3NF design. You know that, now come on...
>
> I sure do not. 3NF is not the highest level of normalisation
> that can be done.
>
> [snip]
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Gene Wirchenko

Of course not, but we hadn't gotten that far. We're talking about (as it turns out) confusion in the use of terms. It appeared to be a discussion about someone thinking that RAID and indexes were a source of redundancy as it applies to 3NF. That is the context in which we were dealing. A discussion of BCNF, 5NF, etc. would not have helped at that point.