Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Eric Kaun <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:14:24 GMT

"Laconic2" <> wrote in message
> [...]
> In the recent Pick example, showing an invoice, there's a list of
> numbers, and a correlated list of amounts.
> That is, the second amount "goes with" the second account number. But, in
> the earlier pizza pick example we had a list
> of three toppings and an uncorrelated list of three cheeses. Now my
> question is this: how the heck do you know that in one case the two lists
> are correlated and in the other example they are uncorrelated?
> Are you "just expected to know" the logical structure of invoices and
> pizzas enough to draw this inference?
> Not that there aren't things you "just have to know" in a schema of
> but the Pick people treat it as though it's "intuitively obvious". Maybe
> an SME, but maybe not to everybody else.

I think the choice of data structure is important, both in terms of correctness and in communication. I see this a lot on Java - people using ArrayList everywhere just because they can, and then doing nausea-inducing searches through the lists, as opposed to using a Set or Bag or some other structure. And besides the simple bad choice, I keep thinking "O how I wish I could do an in-memory SELECT here..." Received on Mon Jun 14 2004 - 18:14:24 CEST

Original text of this message