Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:46:22 GMT

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:32:19 GMT, "Bill H" <wphaskett_at_THISISMUNGEDatt.net> wrote:

>> An axiom is a proposition regarded as self-evidently true without
>> proof.
>>
>> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Axiom.html
>
>I think this definition is too rigid.

No, it is correct.

>An axiom can easily be thought of as both a self-evident truth (so what's
>self-evident?)

Absolutely trivial and self contained. You don't need to operate with the statement to see that it is true.

For instance here is the fitst of Euclid's postulates:

"A straight line segment can be drawn joining any two points."

This is contained in the line definition. Nothing new.

>or an assumption to use to base a further analysis. Newton's
>3 laws of motion are generally referred to as axioms that are used as
>assumptions (or postulates) for further theoretical analysis.

It is a very bad use of the terms. Postulates are not assumptions, postulates are axioms: truths.

Newtos's 3 laws of motion are not evident, self consistent nor true.

>Since databases are natural companions to multiple environments (business,
>gov't, etc) we shouldn't be limiting our inquiry with such rigid definitions
>of useful words.

Rigid and correct are different things.

Regards
  Alfredo Received on Mon Jun 14 2004 - 16:46:22 CEST

Original text of this message