Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Alfredo Novoa <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:46:22 GMT

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:32:19 GMT, "Bill H" <> wrote:

>> An axiom is a proposition regarded as self-evidently true without
>> proof.
>I think this definition is too rigid.

No, it is correct.

>An axiom can easily be thought of as both a self-evident truth (so what's

Absolutely trivial and self contained. You don't need to operate with the statement to see that it is true.

For instance here is the fitst of Euclid's postulates:

"A straight line segment can be drawn joining any two points."

This is contained in the line definition. Nothing new.

>or an assumption to use to base a further analysis. Newton's
>3 laws of motion are generally referred to as axioms that are used as
>assumptions (or postulates) for further theoretical analysis.

It is a very bad use of the terms. Postulates are not assumptions, postulates are axioms: truths.

Newtos's 3 laws of motion are not evident, self consistent nor true.

>Since databases are natural companions to multiple environments (business,
>gov't, etc) we shouldn't be limiting our inquiry with such rigid definitions
>of useful words.

Rigid and correct are different things.

  Alfredo Received on Mon Jun 14 2004 - 16:46:22 CEST

Original text of this message