Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Bill H <>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 20:56:48 -0700

Perhaps I was not specific enough.

"Gene Wirchenko" <> wrote in message
> >> Are you "just expected to know" the logical structure of invoices and
> >> pizzas enough to draw this inference?
> From what Bill H wrote below, it appears he thinks so.

Not at all. A field definition defines a field. It also defines any relationships between fields and multiple values within those fields. So my example of an A/P invoice with G/L accts and amounts would be defined as being related. As Dawn indicates one could reference the values singularly (as pairs) or as a whole.

> Every application module that deals with that relationship is
> going to have to have that code. If just one of them gets it wrong,
> trouble. If the rule changes, trouble.

No, they just have to know of the relationship, which is defined in the field definition(s).

> That is why it would be better to put it in the database. Do it
> once, and do it right.

That's where the definition resides.

> I have an app where I do not have the integrity rules coded in
> the database. It is all in the application code. It is biting me
> very badly right now. It made sense at the time (or rather more
> accurately, it did not make as much non-sense at the time), but I am
> certainly feeling it now.

Understandably so. Those kinds of constraints can be loaded into the database with a trigger; if that's what one wants.

> >and database, and its tools. The database nomenclature is not unique and
> >words mean what they've always meant (i.e. noone refers to a "row" or a
> >"column" when referencing a customer or a list of their outstanding
> >invoices).
> No one? You are sure that it is impossible? "This column is..."
> or "This row has the subtotals for...".

Well, noone within the management and administration group of the business. :-)