Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Gene Wirchenko <>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 13:07:09 -0700

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <> wrote:

>"x" <> wrote in message news:40c98cce$
>> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at ****
>> "Anthony W. Youngman" <> wrote in message
>> > So if I put my data into an MV database I can access it as if it were in
>> > an RDBMS. However, the converse is not true.
>> So all data in a MV database can be represented in relational model,
>> but not all data in a RDBMS can be represented in MV model :-)
>> Which one is more expressive ? :-)
>Easy question --
>if each model can provide a solution for a particular area so that we have
>both an MV and a SQL-DBMS solution and
>if we can look at the MV model as relational when we choose to do so (which
>is usually for the purpose of using SQL against it)
>but we cannot take the relational model and view the MV model from it
>Then clearly the more expressive language is ... NOT the one that loses the
>ability to view the data in some other way, right? --dawn

     No. Since both models worked for generating a solution, as far as the example goes, they appear to be equally expressive. The MV model may be over-complicated since it has things that the relational model does not need in order to work.

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:

     I have preferences.
     You have biases.