Re: Nearest Common Ancestor Report (XDb1's $1000 Challenge)

From: Hugo Kornelis <hugo_at_pe_NO_rFact.in_SPAM_fo>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:58:06 +0200

On 7 Jun 2004 20:17:36 -0700, Neo wrote:

>> Respect your promise and pay the guy ...
>
>OK, but first show Neo how to store the equivalent of the following
>XDb1 script in RM Sol#1 or #2 without redundant data.
>
>color isa thing.
>brown isa color.
>
>person isa thing.
>john isa person.
>john's color is brown.
>mary isa person.
>mary's color is brown.
>
>Although brown appears three times in the script, XDb1 normalizes the
>second two by making them references to the first one. There is only
>one brown in XDb1's db. Using RM#1 or #2, brown is stored three
>separate times.

First, I have already provided several arguments to prove that storing "brown" three times in a database is no more redundant than storing 0x0E34FB30 or "^brown" three times. Though you posted countless messages (most copies of each other), you have as yet rebutted none of these arguments.

Second, the challenge was never for a model with or without redundancy, but for an impolementation that had to be normalized using the relational model. Why would payment to me depend on the answer from an anonymous poster to you about something completely unrelated to the challenge?

Best, Hugo

--

(Remove _NO_ and _SPAM_ to get my e-mail address)