Re: Nearest Common Ancestor Report (XDb1's $1000 Challenge)

From: Tony <andrewst_at_onetel.net.uk>
Date: 8 Jun 2004 04:10:23 -0700

neo55592_at_hotmail.com (Neo) wrote in message news:<4b45d3ad.0406071940.2c8e32c9_at_posting.google.com>...
> > You're demanding that the relational equivalent of your example be
> > implemented using specific techniques...
>
> No, I am asking for a NULL-less and as normalized and as generic
> solution. These characteristics are not specific to XDb1.
>
> > Anything you can do with XDb1 can be done with relational database systems
>
> Please show Neo how to store the equivalent of the following XDb1
> script in RM Sol#1 or #2 without redundant data.
>
> color isa thing.
> brown isa color.
>
> person isa thing.
> john isa person.
> john's color is brown.
> mary isa person.
> mary's color is brown.
>
> Although brown appears three times in the script, XDb1 normalizes the
> second two by making them references to the first one. There is only
> one brown in XDb1's db. Using RM#1 or #2, brown is stored three
> separate times.

That is not normalisation, it is using surrogate keys or pointers. You must be storing SOMETHING 3 times to indicate that "brown" is used 3 times. Whether it is the word "brown" or the surrogate ID 1429476 or a physical memory address or whatever, you still have the SAME level of "redundancy" in your model.

Now stop this nonsense and PAY UP! Received on Tue Jun 08 2004 - 13:10:23 CEST

Original text of this message