Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:17:43 -0700

"Anthony W. Youngman" <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:kwZ+nXQrsPxAFwF8_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk...
> In message <a73wc.31$924.207_at_news.oracle.com>, Mikito Harakiri
> <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com> writes
> >P.S. Anthony, admittedly your reasoning is not without intelligence. What
> >are you doing in the Pick camp?
> >
> If you mean me (I think I'm the only Anthony, though there's several
> Tonys), what other camp do you expect me to belong to?
>
> As far as I'm concerned, relational theory is MATHEMATICS. I'm a
> SCIENTIST. And it seems to me the mathematicians have an unhealthy
> disrespect for reality. I don't. You can only get so far with logic, and
> that does not include proving that your maths actually works in the real
> world. My experience tells me it doesn't.
>
> Or are you saying that you believe that "there is one true database, and
> Codd is its prophet" :-)

Relational world is filled with many many interesting things. Scientist should enjoy (re)discovering them. If you follow database literature closely, you'll discover that not many works are citing Codd (or Date, for that matter) today. In fact, outside c.d.t and few other notorious places, not that much religious zealotry involved.

But may I ask you, how is that narrow Pick world (with those ugly field delimiters) satisfies your scientific urge of exploration? Received on Tue Jun 08 2004 - 02:17:43 CEST

Original text of this message