Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Anthony W. Youngman <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 00:32:59 +0100

In message <a73wc.31$924.207_at_news.oracle.com>, Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com> writes
>P.S. Anthony, admittedly your reasoning is not without intelligence. What
>are you doing in the Pick camp?

If you mean me (I think I'm the only Anthony, though there's several Tonys), what other camp do you expect me to belong to?

As far as I'm concerned, relational theory is MATHEMATICS. I'm a SCIENTIST. And it seems to me the mathematicians have an unhealthy disrespect for reality. I don't. You can only get so far with logic, and that does not include proving that your maths actually works in the real world. My experience tells me it doesn't.

Or are you saying that you believe that "there is one true database, and Codd is its prophet" :-)

Cheers,
Wol

The society which scorns excellence in plumbing because plumbing is a humble
activity, and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted
activity, will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy. Neither its
pipes nor its theories will hold water. John W Gardner