Re: Transaction logs full

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: 8 Jun 2004 02:57:42 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when Robert Stearns <rstearns1241_at_charter.net> would write:
> Is there a way (SQL syntax or some preparatory command) to cause a
> statement which implies a possibly large number of operation, either
> insert or update, to commit every so many rows? In particular the new
> 'merge ... when not matched insert ...' statement can consume large
> amounts of log space, depending on the number of 'not matched' rows.

I believe that the usual SQL syntax is to periodically use:

 BEGIN TRANSACTION;  ...

 COMMIT TRANSACTION; In any case, there can be no standard way to do this, as different database implementations handle things like logging very differently. You will probably have to resort to some system specific thing that isn't SQL.

--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "cbbrowne.com")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/sgml.html