Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Paul <paul_at_test.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 23:09:15 +0100

Torkel Franzen wrote:
>>I think that Godel's Completeness theorem says that if a statement about
>>a database is semantically true *irrespective of which semantics you
>>choose*, then it's provable purely syntactically using first order
>>logic.

> No, Godel's completeness theorem is tied specifically to the
> standard semantics of first order logic.

What I'm trying to understand is how Godel's completeness theorem applies to relational databases (if at all), given that relational database theory is based on first order logic.

Tuples are propositions?
Relations are predicates?
Constraints are expressions in first order logic?

Godel's completeness theorem refers to the concepts of "theories" and "models". What do these concepts correspond to in relational database terms? What do the axioms of the "theories" correspond to?

Does the finiteness of relational databases make Godel's completeness theorem irrelevant in that context?

Interesting website you have by the way, I'm hoping you'll have a definitive answer for this!

Paul. Received on Mon Jun 07 2004 - 17:09:15 CDT