Re: cdt

From: Alan <not.me_at_uhuh.rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 12:20:52 GMT

Looks good, though I propose some very minor changes (in line) marked with =====>>>>>

=====>>>>> "minimum inconvenience" is kind of vague. This definition sort of restates one of the basic conditions needed for an RDBMS: the notion that the underlying structure can be changed without affecting what is already stored. IOW, for example, you can add a column to a table without losing what is already there. Don't know how I'd rephrase it...

=====>>>>> I would change "can never" to "may not". Sometimes they do represent completely.

=====>>>>> The term is sometimes used this way, but in our theoretical world, I believe it is important to make the destinction as you have below in 0.b. I would leave out 0.a for clarity's sake.

=====>>>>> "uniquely (as in PK, CK) identify or relate (as in FK)"

> [...]
>
> There is a requirement for the 'domain' and the 'codomain'
> to be the same set.
>
> [pointer]
> A pointer is an address(*) used to locate something.
> What is to be found there is up to the rest of the system.
>
> [reference]
> A reference is a value, used to refer to something.
> A program can get the current value of that something
> (without ever knowing where it resides) by dereferencing,
> even if that something has been relocated between
> the time of first reference and the dereferencing.
>

> (ISSUES)
>
> [meaning vs use]
> Say we currently have a validated statement
> about the exchange rate of some stock at some
> recent time.
>
> 1. It does not matter to the meaning
> where/how this statement is represented. We have it.
> 2. To the use of it it is important where/how
> it is represented, and available to relevant actors.
> 3. Twenty years later the meaning of this statement
> is still the same.
> 4. Twenty years later most of its usefullness will
> probably have gone.
>
> It may be --- in some instances -- not appropriate to make this
> distinction. The meaning of data is always contextual.
> The same bit of data means different things to different
> structured viewpoints within the organization, for example,
> and at different times (epochs). One grain of sand does not
> form a beach. One bit of data itself has little meaning.
> It is rather the collective of all data that possesses greater
> notion of meaning.
>

> [pointers, references and keys]
>
> While references may be implemented as pointers,
> the programmer prefers not to know (if he prefers
> to know he should have used pointers.
>
> A pointer is a special kind of type. One can declare variables of a
> pointer type, and these variables can have pointer values.
>
> A pointer type is a type for which two operations are supported:
> referencing and dereferencing.
>
> The dereferencing operation takes a pointer *value* and returns a
> *variable* of the type the pointer refers to.
>
> The referencing operation is the inverse operation. It takes a
> *variable* and returns a pointer *value*.
>
> Java references are pointers in the above sense. The term pointer was
> avoided in Java because the term pointer is often used in a more
> restricted sense, meaning physical memory addresses.
>
> Relational keys are definitely not pointers.
>
> (logical pointer)
> logical pointers as in navigational information from a foreign
> key in one relation to a primary key in another (effectively
> a mapping).
>

> [table, row, column]
> table: A sentence that has not yet been uttered,
> because it relates unknown values.
> row: A statement of fact, as an utterance of the "meta" sentence
> described above.
> column: any piece of utterable information.

=====>>>>> I see where you're going, but unless the following is understood, it could be confusing. Okay, this one isn't minor Trying to keep it general irrespective of normal form, but still giving it context:

Table: A collection of rows and columns. Row: A collection of attributes.
Column: An attribute of an entity.
Entity: The subject about which the table is concerned.

I know this is slightly reflexive, but as you have already indirectly specified, these terms are best understood as they relate to each other. You could probably combine the two different takes on this.