Re: Nearest Common Ancestor Report (XDb1's $1000 Challenge)

From: Hugo Kornelis <hugo_at_pe_NO_rFact.in_SPAM_fo>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 01:03:23 +0200

On 5 Jun 2004 12:42:35 -0700, Neo wrote:

>> > [In the] general methods for determining a thing's class(es),
>> > If I substitute 'person' for 'john' both return 0 records.
>>
>> In the challenge, there is no need to extract the class of 'person' from
>> the database. The challenge had some classes (church, force, person, dog
>> and computer, if I remember well). None of these had a superclass, other
>> that the universal superclass "thing". Since everything is a thing, I did
>> not store it.
>
>The original challenge asks to "produce ... Report ... allow the user
>to create any hierarchy". The class hierarchy is a subset of any
>hierarchy. The intent was to create a report on any hierarchy,
>including class hierarchy.

Hi Neo,

XDb1 beta v4.4.7 (the version that was on the web page when you started the challenge) can't produce a report on the class hierarchy.

However, I do acknowledge that the challenge posting could be interpreted this way. I hereby declare that, even though XDb1 v4.4.7 can't do this, I will adapt the RM#2 solution for this *IF* you and I both agree to accept an arbitrator (like Nick Landsberg proposed) WITHOUT any requirements beforehand and *IF* this arbitrator interprets your challange posting this way.

Best, Hugo

--

(Remove _NO_ and _SPAM_ to get my e-mail address)