meaningless data (was: Relations as Repeating Groups & Namespaces)

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 00:19:04 +0200

Hugo Kornelis wrote:

> No, I'm not attracted to Nijssen's "kenniskunde" (how on earth would one
> translate THAT in English?) at all.

Knowledgeology?

> ... are you even implying that
> there are people here who think (gasp!!) that the information in a
> database doesn't need to mean anything to it's users?

Yes. Gasp indeed. When people discuss data in the context of database, they are talking of something with meaning. At least, that is what I thought until

> x wrote:

>>> Well, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data ,
>>> under meaning of data and information,
>>> say "data on its own has no meaning".

> <quote>
> Data on its own has no meaning, only
> when interpreted by some kind of data
> processing system does it take on
> meaning and become information.
> </quote>

No source of this statement was mentioned at wikipedia.

I was even more amazed when I found that this statement is copied all over the web. People will think this is an accepted way of using the term 'data'.

I am not an acknowledged guru
who could barge in at wikipedia and say: Hey guys, you got it all wrong, your understanding of data and information stinks.
I should at least be able to offer a better description.

So I asked c.d.theory what to think of it. (Thread: It don't mean a thing...)

In the meantime I did create an account at wikipedia. I'll try to find out how things work there. As soon as I feel up to it (your comments may help) I'll try opening a discussion there to get that statement reconsidered. Received on Sun Jun 06 2004 - 00:19:04 CEST

Original text of this message