Re: Entry Points to the Data

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 10:39:27 -0500

"Alan" <not.me_at_uhuh.rcn.com> wrote in message news:uulwc.5843$QT3.624_at_nwrdny01.gnilink.net...
> "Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message

> This notion was implemented years ago in many reporting tools. For
example,
> Cognos Impromptu has something called a "catalog". The catalog contains
all
> of the joins necessary to connect all of the tables in the database that
> make sense to be joined and have a means of joining together. In other
> words, a superset of all possible views.

Yes, good point -- maybe I'm asking why the logical perspective on the database (which is what the relational model is said to provide) isn't more intuitive for a user wanting to shop for their data so that third-parties have to provide the logical view that the user wants. If the relational model is the logical view of the database, then why doesn't it do the job of providing the logical view of the data that people need (including what is required to apply the logic of a query)?

--dawn Received on Sat Jun 05 2004 - 17:39:27 CEST

Original text of this message