Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Eric Kaun <ekaun_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:05:34 GMT

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message news:c9q5tj$4j3$1_at_news.netins.net...
> "Eric Kaun" <ekaun_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > So what mathematical axioms do you know of that "map to reality"?
>
> Those arithmetic ones have worked OK for me.

I agree, they work well. But what "reality" do they map to? They're synthetic, albeit extremely useful. How would you correlate them with reality?

> > I didn't realize that was the fundamental aspect of an axiom's value.
> It is only of worth if you want to apply the mathematics to something,
such
> as databases.

Right, but how exactly does one determine the applicability of mathematics to, say, physics? In other words, what axioms does any branch of mathematics have that correlate to something in the real world?

  • erk