Re: Is Ingres yet relational?

From: Tony Douglas <tonyisyourpal_at_netscape.net>
Date: 2 Jun 2004 10:07:19 -0700

Paul Mason <Paul_member_at_newsguy.com> wrote in message news:<c94b9l01ll4_at_drn.newsguy.com>...

> Well all I can say is that anyone who finds the C required for UDTs difficult
> probably doesn't want to go hacking the Ingres source itself ;)

And all I can say is that there is no way the amount of grubbing about that's required to do something as fundamental as define your own, appropriate, data types in Ingres is acceptable. The data type of an attribute is the most basic constraint that can be applied, and it should be utterly straightforward to define the most appropriate types for the organisation being modelled. Pfaffing about with C does not count as straightforward.

Delving about in the guts of a DBMS server is an entirely different matter.