Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: x <x-false_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:28:07 +0300

  • Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****

"Paul" <paul_at_test.com> wrote in message news:AK8vc.9364$wI4.1212916_at_wards.force9.net...
> x wrote:
> > Prolog is based on first order logic. What is the difference between
> > the Prolog way and the Relational Model way of representing data ?
>
> Hmm according to one website: "The difference between Prolog and a
> Relational DBMS is that in Prolog the relations are stored in main
> memory along with the program whereas in a Relational DBMS the relations
> are stored in files and the program extracts the information from the
> files." So from this it would seem that logically they are the same.

There are other differences.
For example there are no candidate or foreign keys in Prolog.

If you are interested, you can start at: http://www.lim.univ-mrs.fr/~colmer/
http://www-lp.doc.ic.ac.uk/UserPages/staff/rak/rak.html

> But I see a few references to second-order logic in Prolog:

The name Prolog came from the French of "Programming in Logic" There are many variants of "Prolog" today.

http://cs.wwc.edu/~aabyan/LABS/LogicProgramming/2ndorder.html http://www.scms.rgu.ac.uk/staff/smc/teaching/kbp3/kbp3/node7.html

> > And first order logic is "incomplete" also because of the
> > "in all models" stuff.
>
> I don't really understand what your problem is with this.
>
> Here's another statement of Godel's Completeness Theorem:
> "If T is a set of axioms in a first-order language, and a statement p
> holds for any structure M satisfying T, then p can be formally deduced
> from T in some appropriately defined fashion."
>
> They're using the word "structure" for "model" but the same concept. Now
> surely this is just what you'd intuitively expect?
>
> For example consider our theory T is group theory. One structure that
> satisfies the group theory axioms is that of abelian (commutative)
> groups. In this structure every element commutes with every other
> element. But this is not the case for the general theory of groups. For
> something to be a universal property of groups, it must be true for
> *every* possible structure that satisfies the group axioms. And the
> theorem says that then you can *always* prove the property in the theory
> T alone (i.e. without reference to any of the structures based on the
> theory T).

But I'm interested in properties of a particular structure S, not in the properties of some theory T that happen to describe some aspects of S.

> I'm acutally wondering as well whether all this talk of Godel is
> irrelevant anyway because in databases we are only dealing with finite
> sets of axioms. Possibly second order logic is complete when you have a
> finite number of axioms? I'll have to do a bit more Googling.

In databases we deal with facts, not with finite sets of axioms. Metamathematics deal with sets of axioms and theorems.

Have you seen :
http://www-csli.stanford.edu/hp/CVandNR.pdf http://www-csli.stanford.edu/hp/Reflections.pdf

  • Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! *** http://www.usenet.com Unlimited Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 90,000 groups - Uncensored -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=